Tomatoes, olives and cappers are a must in the Italian kitchen. Especially at my house, we always used this combination in case of a last-time lunch or dinner, during one of those days where we didn’t want to give up on taste, but we didn’t have enough time to cook. Cooked in a sauce or accompanied with a second dish, raw or cooked, with meat or fish, tomatoes-olives-cappers, are a lovely and delicious trio!
This recipe is perfect for those who love fish and are looking for tasty and fresh flavors. For a family dinner or a romantic evening, accompany this dish with some basmati rice or a potato salad, it will be a blast!
1. Wash the calamari under cold water, removing all the possible dirt, including all the organs. Then, use a chopping board to cut your calamari in equal small pieces.
2. Wash the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half/smaller pieces.
3. Drain the black pitted olives and chunk them in half.
4. Drizzle some oil in a pan with garlic. Before adding the tomatoes, let the garlic brown on medium heat for 2 minutes.
5. Cook the tomatoes for about 5 minutes on medium heat, then add the calamari, chunked olives and cappers. Add a bit of salt and chilly pepper. Put the lid on and let everything cook for about 20 minutes.
6. Once in a while, check if the mix is too dry, and in case, add a sip of water or turn the heat a bit down. After 20 minutes, your calamari should result soft and super tasty from the sauce of tomatoes, olives and capers.
The flavor of fresh calamari, mixed with fresh tomatoes, olives and cappers, it’s extremely tasty. For this reason, I suggest to accompany this dish with some basmati rice, simply cooked in hot water and a bit of salt. The taste of this oriental rice will be a plus for the overall result. Your guests will be impressed, believe me!