It’s been already a few months, since I bought a package of Venere black rice. I like to think that it was sleeping in peace in my kitchen’s drawer, and the other day, it was finally time to make something out of it. I love the oriental flavor of this wholewheat rice, but my idea was to mix it with some of my favorite ingredients: eggs and speck. The mountains’ ingredients. Something I would eat all the time after a long day of hiking or skiing. Inspired by my imagination, I added another colorful and tasty ingredient: peas.
All I have to say is that it turned out amazing.
1. Chunk the onion in fine pieces using a cutting board.
2. Drizzle some oil in a pan and brown the onion for 2 minutes on medium heat. Eventually, if it’s browing too fast, add a sip of water.
3. Once the onion is browed, add the peas with some salt. Let everything cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat. Mix once in a while. Once cooked, turn the heat off.
4. Fill a pot with water, and once it boils, add some salt and then the Venere rice. It’s better to start cooking the rice while you make the sauce, as it will take around 25 minutes to be ready.
5. In another pan or small pot, let the speck brown with a bit of oil. In case you bought fresh speck, cut it in small pieces first.
6. Then add the speck to the pan with the cooked peas.
7. In the same pan/pot where you browned the speck, scramble the eggs with some oil. Add some salt and cook it just a bit, for about 1 minute (the eggs don’t have to be overcooked, otherwise they will turn out too dry).
8. Add the scrambled eggs to the pot with the peas and speck. Your sauce if finally done and ready to be added to the rice.
9. Drain the rice when it’s ready, then mix it with the sauce, serve hot and enjoy!
Even though eggs and speck are key ingredients, you can replace speck with ham. If you are a big fan of black rice and you are a vegetarian, you can simply make this recipe without the speck, maybe adding an extra egg or two to have a bit more of ingredients.